I was sent this article ( State-Owned Aircraft Cost Taxpayers Millions ) which ridicules the state of Florida and their mismanagement of their entire aircraft fleet. While I do not agree with their assessment or analysis, it is clear any state funded program related to aviation will come under strict scrutiny.
I am willing to bet many professional pilot programs are not prepared when the call comes in to articulate the value, vision and strategy of their training program.
If you have not used the Balanced Score Card to showcase your program, now is the time to start.
What is it?
Simply put, it is a performance measurement framework that gives managers a ‘balanced’ view of their organizations performance. It was originated by Drs. Robert Kaplan (Harvard Business School) and David Norton.
How will it help you?
- Increase your focus on strategy and results
- Prioritize projects and initiatives
- Align organizational strategy with work people do on daily basis
- Focus on drivers of future performance
- Improve communication of organization Strategy and Vision
- Engage your team's leadership in the exercise
- Publish your scorecard for all to see
I can guarantee you will come out of the process with a better understanding of your ‘business’, your ‘customers’ and how your internal process/procedures drive results. You never know, maybe you can make the call instead of waiting to receive it.