This week I went to EAA Airventure Oshkosh with one question in mind - how do recent grads plan on getting to the right seat? The great thing about Oshkosh is that everybody goes!
I must have seen 2 dozen booths showcasing the multitude of Collegiate Aviation Schools around the world. I talked to students, flight instructors, and educators! Here are the common themes:
• Realize a pilot shortage is looming.
• Want to go to a school with a reputable program.
• Attrition is picking up because hiring has been active this year.
• Building flight hours to get a job.
• Do not feel like HR 5900 will affect their generation.
• Enrollment is slowly picking back up.
• Designing flight programs to meet possible HR 5900 requirements (ie advanced jet simulation)
This is just a small scratch to the surface of the current state of the professional pilot training industry. In addition, I took some video footage, so look for the movie in weeks to follow!
For anyone interested in the career of a pilot, you should view our professional pilot ROI analysis.